Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Regina Landfill To Produce Gas From Solar Energy


I saw this on Global news and I thought it was quite interesting, especially since it has to do with Regina.

The City of Regina has put our waste to good use by installing a $2.5 million gas collection system. This gas collection system has been placed in Regina's landfill and a private company named "Solar Hydrogen Energy Corp" are going to market and make this project profitable.

Now usually, a mixture of methane and carbon dioxide is created when garbage decomposes and then it goes into the atmosphere and therefore, contributing to global warming.

Yet, this landfill gas will use solar energy to break the methane down into clean-burning hydrogen gas. This landfill project will also be involved in the carbon credits system fabricated by the ICAP climate control agreement. This agreement was discussed in my last post...
If these credits are bought and distributed between large companies it is expected that the project will make up to $100,000 a year. That's pretty amazing if you ask me!

1 comment:

J. M. Bea said...

Wow cool! I had no clue this was going on in Regina... anything that is good for the environment and for our local economy works for me. Thanks for the post, I will be interested to hear more about this.