Thursday, October 18, 2007

Good Ole Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize!

*Note: This is not of high importance to Canadian politics, but I still found it appropriate for my blog.

Al gore and the intergovernmental panel on climate change won the nobel peace prize for "their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change", as quoted from the nobel peace prize website.

On October 12, it was announced that Al Gore and the United Nation's intergovernmental panel won the nobel peave prize. This was first announced on CNN before it was even announced to Al Gore himself, which is wierd.

Anyways, I thought that was interesting.

There are many, MANY critics out there who think that Al Gore does not deserve this prize. I personally don't agree with that. Al gore has done so much in making this environmental issue into a political one. Even if you don't believe in everything Gore says in his documentary...global warming is real. Al Gore has helped bring publicity to the topic of global warming and inspired people to make a difference! I mean HELLO, you see those "evergy saving light bulbs" everywhere now. It's like global warming and saving the planet has become the new "in-thing."

The Nobel peace prize committee deserve credit for giving this prize to Al Gore and the UN. They have recognised Gore's strong efforts and achievements in the environment and helped publicize this very important matter in society. I think we should all take a page from Al Gore's book and help out the environment in need.


What a hunk!

3 comments:

Trees for our children... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trees for our children... said...

... Al Gore is nothing but a washed-up politician and band-wagon jumper... he hypocritically tells everyone they need to drastically change their consumption lifestyles, then flys around in his private jet and hangs out at his mansion (which I believe uses twenty times as much energy as an average house)... how hard would it be to throw some solar panels up there? how bout taking some of your own advice...
judge people based on what they actually do, not just what they say (or in Gore's case, tell you to do) ...politicians, when their in power (so all the amazing new things the NDP are coming out with don't count) and not (when it's radically different) powerless should be judged on their actinos...

Though Gore has done some good, there are hundreds of other more deserving environmentalists and climate change scientists who have been effectively fighting global warming for years that deserve the prize more than Gore...

The IPCC actually deserved it...
I sincerely question Gore's motives...

Concerned Earthling, said...

Even if he is a "washed up politician" as you put it...
what is so wrong with using your publicity for a good cause?

I do agree that there are many others that deserved this award also. But, like I said Gore has made this issue public, which i never saw from IPCC. They may do the reasearch, but what good is reasearch if no one knows anything about it.

I really don't know a lot on the IPCC, but not gonna lie...
you bringing them up is the first I ever heard of them.